Big Bend 2016
October 27-30, 2016
Balmorrhea State Park
Breakfast (and great coffee) on the porch as we watched the sun rise.
Window Trail Hike
Grapevine Hills Hike
Santa Elena Canyon
- Far Flung Outdoor Center: We stayed here during our first visit to Big Bend two years ago, and were so impressed with how clean and comfortable the casitas (log cabins) were, that we had to stay here again. The casitas are equipped with kitchenettes and great coffee. There's a grill in the common area that's a great option for making your own meals, since there are only a couple of restaurants in Terlingua.
- Window Trail Hike: Very pleasant 2.5 hour hike, with great views from the top of a waterfall.
- Grapevine Hills Hike: Lots of big rocks. Very exposed - make sure to bring water and sunscreen!
- Santa Elena Canyon: My favorite hike of the trip. The environment changes quite a bit during this short hike, and includes both high vantage points with expansive views and spots where you're right next to the water at the bottom of the canyon.
- Tuff Canyon: We didn't give this one a proper chance, since we missed the entrance to the trail and instead hung out near the road, while Tyler took a less-traveled route down to the bottom of the canyon.