Performance

Woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't sleep, so I worked on the app.

Yesterday I was asking Tyler how to structure some data for a new app feature, since he has experience with relational databases, which is super valuable. My excuse for not knowing more about them is that I'm a front-end developer, however it's also precisely why I should know more than I do.

He mentioned something about queries, which reminded me that I'd meant to revisit that in regards to the app. Back when I first wrote it and started using Firebase as our database, I didn't understand how the Firebase querying worked in the Ember framework, so I put it off...and just grabbed everything from the database and filtered it client-side... And then wondered where our performance issues came from.

So I read up on it at 2:30 a.m., and for some reason - maybe because I'm more familiar with everything at this point - it made sense. In fact it made so much sense that it was embarrassing that I didn't get it before.

Changing a few lines of code improved app performance significantly. In addition I had the satisfaction of finally completing a task that was painfully overdue.

Kia Wright